Monday, July 16, 2012

Table top Dress form...

    Happy Monday, everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend. Today I am sharing a project that has been swimming around in my head for a while. You may remember my life size Barbie who sacrificed herself for the greater good. I made Santos hands, see that project here . I also promised a special project using what was left of the doll. Here is what I came up with!


    A table top dress form! I have made other dress forms using doll torsos. If you look at my header photos, you will see one of them. I had never added a cage before.



    I  think I bit off a little more than I could chew with this one. I usually sew the fabric into a cover for the form. For some reason it just wouldn't work out right. I went through an entire drop cloth trying to achieve my goal. This resulted in having to glue gun it!



    My favorite part is the cage. It was made using wire garden fencing.



     She is decorated with a wire ribbon rosette and sash.



    The base is a from a lamp I took apart.




I may attempt a redo in the future. Sewing just isn't my favorite thing to accomplish.









   The willing participant, for these crazy ideas of mine!
                                   


    I know everyone likes a good tutorial but this one was a little difficult. I took the doll apart. I drilled a hole in the bottom of her torso and attached the lamp rod with a nut. I was a little tricky trying to achieve this through those tiny leg openings. I then  fleshed her out with batting and used a piece of poster board to form hips. When I was satisfied with her shape I covered her with drop cloth. I know this isn't a proper tutorial. If you have any questions I will try to answer them.









    Her finial is a combination of  a lamp part a wooden ball and a glass drawer knob.I think I'll give myself an A for effort. Maybe a C in overall execution! Does that round off to a B?

                                                                               Thanks for letting me share,
                                                                                                    Kathleen


I am linking up at:   Between Naps on the Porch: Metamorphosis Monday
                              Kathe With an E : You're Gonna Love It Tuesday
                              Savvy Southern Style : Wow Us Wednesday

           
                               Stringtown Home Stringtown Home
Totally Transformed Tuesday